Our Indonesia Office is looking for an Education Expert to support in the implementation of ACP project activities in Jakarta, Indonesia.
About the Ambitious City Promises Project
The Ambitious City Promises: Commitments for low-carbon urban development in Southeast Asian large cities is a 3.5-year international project being implemented by ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability with support from the International Climate Initiative (IKI) of the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, and Nuclear Safety (BMU).
The project aims to support selected large cities in Indonesia, the Philippines and Vietnam to establish strong greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction commitments, local climate action plans directed by concrete targets, enhanced multi-stakeholder engagement and integrated strategies. “City Promises” (city’s Local Climate Change Action Plan) shall be developed in three model cities and their implementation shall be outlined and initiated. Throughout the project period, each local government will design locally-appropriate targets and action plans on the basis of their development framework and priorities.
In Indonesia, the project works with DKI Jakarta, Tangerang, and Bekasi1. The DKI Jakarta government is committed to reducing its GHG emissions, particularly on fossil-based energy consumption. Various initiatives have been carried out, including encouraging the public to use renewable energy such as solar power and to implement energy efficiency measures in residential, government buildings, commercial establishments and other facilities. Moreover, DKI Jakarta Government has installed solar rooftop panels in several schools within the city.
In 2019, Yayasan ICLEI Indonesia has successfully completed a round of public consultations in Jakarta to develop City Promises. Based on public consultation, youth is one of the priority groups that have the potential to be the main supporters of GHG emissions reduction activities in DKI Jakarta. With a total youth population of 23,5 % (Central Bureau of Statistics, 2018), DKI Jakarta can readily harness the potential of the youth as beacons of collective effort towards climate actions.
The project team and Provincial Government of Jakarta will implement Pilot Project Youth Energizers: Student Leaders as Champions of Energy Efficiency and Environmental Sustainability in DKI Jakarta. The proposed pilot project is a series of behavioral change intervention activities targeting the youth and it is expected that the involved youth will develop the environment-friendly habits. This pilot project aims to build the capacities of the youth, specifically students in DKI Jakarta, to become active and knowledgeable advocates of energy efficiency and conservation. It also aims to raise awareness and facilitate peer-to-peer knowledge exchange amongst the youth advocates through creating enabling mechanisms within the schools that allow student leaders to campaign and mobilize the student population and potentially their immediate community (parents, household members, teachers, school staff, and others). Moreover, this pilot project builds upon DKI Jakarta’s effort to promote energy efficiency and conservation renewable energy in schools and complements it through raising awareness about energy efficiency and conservation as well as renewable energy.
Terms of Reference for Local Expert on Energy Education
The project requires the services of team of experts on Energy Education to develop modules on energy efficiency and conservation measures that are appropriate for various school levels (i.e., elementary, junior high and senior high), facilitate capacity building for students, design methodology and the criteria for selecting winners of the Energy-Friendly Schools Competition, and document the progress as well as highlights of the project and recommend a transition strategy to enable the schools to take ownership and ensure sustainability of the project activities
Scope of Work
The following activities will need to be undertaken in order to help meet the objectives of the project.
Develop module on energy efficiency and conservation, as well as renewable energy
- Develop learning modules on energy efficiency and conservation as well as renewable energy for students
- Coordinate with DKI Jakarta’s official in developing the module
- Ensure the module is applicable and well understood by students and teacher
Launching and Socialization to participating schools
- Facilitate the launching and socialization of the pilot project
- Develop activities for the launching and socialization of the pilot project
- Deliver information about work plan of this pilot project
- Deliver material (summary of the module) to the teacher
- Coordinate with schools and DKI Jakarta’s officials
Conduct awareness-raising and capacity building activities for students on energy efficiency and conservation
- Design appropriate methodologies for effective and efficient awareness-raising and capacity building activities for students
- Deliver modules on energy efficiency and conservation as well as renewable energy for students through awareness-raising and capacity building activities, including examples of best-practices sites that successfully implemented the green building concept
- Facilitate awareness-raising and capacity building activities for students
Energy-Friendly Schools Competition
- Develop mechanism and indicator for Energy-Friendly Schools Competition
- Design methodology and the criteria for selecting winners of the Energy-Friendly Schools Competition
- Select jury for Energy-Friendly Schools Competition, together with ICLEI and DKI Jakarta’s officials
- Assist Energy Ambassadors in developing their energy action plans
- Evaluate energy action plans from Energy Ambassadors
Monitoring and evaluation
- Monitor and evaluate overall performance of the pilot project and document highlights and challenge of the implementation of pilot project
- Recommend a transition strategy to enable the schools to take ownership and ensure sustainability of the project activities
Pilot project closing
- Facilitate the event at the end of pilot project
- Develop activities for the pilot project closing
- Coordinate with schools and DKI Jakarta’s officials
Service Provider Requirements
The successful service provider must:
- At least 3-5 years of professional experience in energy sector such as energy efficiency and conservation as well as renewable energy
- At least 3-5 years of professional experience in developing and facilitating community-based capacity building activities, particularly to elementary, junior, and senior high students
- Background on working in climate change issues particularly low emission development and sustainable development
- Completed a university degree in Education, Communication, Environment, Urban and Regional Planning, Physics Engineering,
- Energy or relevant majors
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite applications
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Excellent writing, presentation, communication, and facilitation skills
- Able and willing to travel domestically
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations
Reporting requirements and management
- The expert will report to Mr. Selamet Daroyni, Project Officer for Ambitious City Promises (ACP) Project of Yayasan ICLEI Indonesia.
- Activities in Jakarta will be implemented in close collaboration with team members from Yayasan ICLEI Indonesia and ICLEI Southeast Asia Secretariat based in Manila.
- Regular meetings/calls to report on progress on specific tasks and deliverables will be required.
- Payment of the service provider will be contingent on the timely submissions of deliverables listed in this term of references.
Requirements for the proposal
The following information must be provided in the proposal:
- Letter of Intent addressed to Mr. Selamet Daroyni, Project Officer for Ambitious City Promises (ACP) Project of Yayasan ICLEI Indonesia;
- Latest CV;
- Organization profile and individual CVs of potential team members, if applying as an organization/company; and
- Work plan and financial proposal; the financial proposal should outline professional fee (day rate in IDR) and breakdown of direct costs.
Closing date for submission
To apply, please submit a Letter of Intent that demonstrates your experience, qualifications, and proposed professional fee along with your latest CV, proposal (work and budget plan), and supporting documents.
Please send all materials in one PDF document via email with subject “ Energy Education Expert ACP” to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday, 10 August 2020.
For any queries related to submission, please contact Yayasan ICLEI Indonesia via the e-mail address above.
Please use English for all communications. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Due to the volume of applications being received, our office would not be able to entertain phone calls. For more information about ICLEI Southeast Asia Secretariat and ICLEI Indonesia Office, visit https://icleiseas.org/.
Please read full terms of reference here.