ICLEI SEAS Laos Office is looking for a Capacity Building Expert for the development of Low Emission Development Strategies for Laos Cities. This position supports the implementation of the project, Accelerating climate action through the promotion of Urban Low Emission Development Strategies (Urban-LEDS II).
About Urban-LEDS II
UN-Habitat and ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability are jointly implementing the Urban-LEDS II project: Accelerating climate action through the promotion of Urban Low Emission Development Strategies in more than 60 cities worldwide in the Urban-LEDS II project, using a multilevel governance approach to urban climate action. Through the Urban-LEDS II project, the local governments of selected cities are guided to create community-scale Urban Low Emissions Development Strategies (Urban LEDS) that also address climate resilience. These will be aligned to and ideally inform the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) and National Adaptation Plans (NAPs), and implementation of these plans will start in the project lifetime. Further, the local governments will be supported to develop pilot projects and finance models for their Urban LEDS implementation. The overall Urban-LEDS II project aims to strengthen cooperation and information sharing across national and local governments, offering an integrated Measuring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) concept and guidance on multilevel governance, to support all levels of government to better understand the contribution of local level developments to support achieving national and global climate and sustainability goals. The project runs from April 2017 till March 2021.
- Enhance vertical and horizontal integration of climate action in support of National and Local Strategies and Policies.
- Support and guide selected local governments in developing and approving Urban Low Emission Development Strategies in four new countries (Lao PDR, Bangladesh, Rwanda, and Colombia), resulting in measurable GHG emission reductions and adaptation co-benefits.
- Consolidate Urban LEDS achievements in cities in existing (Phase I) countries (Brazil, India, Indonesia, and South Africa).
- Promote international, regional, national, sub-national and local government cooperation on urban climate action, leading to an increase in urban stakeholders’ capacity to implement climate action.
About the Vacancy
Capacity Building Expert for the development of Low Emission Development Strategies
Lao PDR is among the Phase II countries of the project. At the city level, the project will support two ‘model’ cities and four to six ‘satellite’ cities per target country. Here, the project will provide capacity-building and technical assistance to local governments, to help these selected model cities develop Urban Low Emission Development Strategies and Action Plans, with a climate resilience focus embedded and guiding integrated climate action. Satellite cities will benefit from capacity development opportunities and peer exchange, also with the model cities.
Towards this end, the ICLEI-Lao Project Team will be augmented to include a Capacity Building Expert at a part-time capacity to deliver the following key duties outline below.
- Conduct training needs analysis for model and satellite cities driven by the deliverables outlined in the Logical Framework of Action for the Urban-LEDS II project particularly the conduct and roll-out of Work Package 3;
- Design and develop capacity building program of activities, in consultation with ICLEI and UN-Habitat, for both relevant national government agencies and local governments (model and satellite cities) leading to the development of a Low Emission Development Strategy (LEDS) document for the model cities;
- Ensure that the capacity building program will include vertical integration approaches to allow alignment with national policies, targets, and commitments; and
- Identify and mobilize national and local experts to serve as resources speakers for the capacity building workshops; and
- Provide technical assistance on capacity building activities (training/workshop) for both model and satellite cities, as well as relevant stakeholders;
- Prepare and finalize reports on capacity building-related activities for the review and approval of ICLEI and UN-Habitat. Among the envisioned outputs include training needs analysis for model and satellite cities and relevant national government agencies, supporting capacity building program based on the results of the TNA. The capacity building program of activities should include the timeline, target audience, and coverage of topics, among others.
- Expert is also expected to draft modules for pre-identified topics for training needs including but not limited to basic science of climate change, basic GHG inventory, the status of climate change adaptation and mitigation initiatives in Lao PDR, and local climate action planning, among others.
- At least a Master’s degree in energy development studies, urban planning, climate change and sustainable development, community or social development and other relevant degrees; or a combination of relevant education and professional experience.
- At least a five-year work experience in urban planning, working with local and/or national governments, particularly in the areas of low emission development, climate change mitigation, and/or climate vulnerability, risks, and hazards.
- Previous experience in development work or related work for donor organizations, government institutions, NGOs, private sector/consulting firm in Lao PDR is a strong advantage.
- Experience in project management, capacity building programs; stakeholder engagement; strategic planning, and event coordination is an advantage.
- Knowledge in local development planning with a focus on policy development, climate action planning, energy and transport and other related topics in the context of Lao PDR.
- Excellent command of the English language, both oral and written, is a must.
- Good knowledge of local, provincial, and national government systems in Lao PDR is an advantage.
- Excellent writing, presentation, communication, and facilitation skills.
- Able and willing to travel extensively.
Interested candidates are requested to apply before 31 January 2019 by sending the following documents to Mr. Phouvannasinh Phongsa at firstname.lastname@example.org with copy to email@example.com:
- Expression of interest and confirmation of availability for the consultancy’s duration
- Latest CV
- Professional fees requested
Download the full TOR here.