Our project office in Lao PDR is looking for an urban low emission development strategy (urban LEDS) expert to support the implementation of Urban-LEDS II project in Lao PDR.
About Urban-LEDS II
ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability and UN-Habitat are jointly implementing the Urban-LEDS II project: Accelerating climate action through the promotion of Urban Low Emission Development Strategies in more than 60 cities worldwide in the Urban-LEDS II project, using a multilevel governance approach to urban climate action. The project is funded by the European Union and runs from April 2017 till March 2021. Through the Urban-LEDS II project, the local governments of selected cities are guided to formulate and develop community-scale Urban Low Emissions Development Strategies (Urban LEDS) that also address climate resilience. These will be aligned to and ideally inform the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) and National Adaptation Plans (NAPs), and implementation of these plans will start in the project lifetime.
At the city level, the project is supporting and guiding the review of climate action planning in the city governments of Pakse and Kaysone Phomvihane. To further enrich urban LEDS action plans of the two model cities, the project supported the conduct of greenhouse gas emission inventory (GHGi) and, to further augment the adaptation and resilience component of the cities’ action plan, by providing support in the conduct of science-based climate vulnerability and risk assessment. Ultimately, the goal is to help the selected model cities formulate and develop Urban Low Emission Development Strategies (urban LEDS) Action Plan, with a climate resilience focus embedded and guiding integrated climate action. Toward this end, the project is looking for an Urban Low Emission Development Strategies Expert to deliver the following key tasks:
Preparatory work and scoping
- Facilitate coordination and meetings with relevant government offices (national, provincial, and city-level)
- Facilitate the formulation of technical working groups (TWG) consisting of representatives from the different levels of government and key stakeholders to support the development and implementation of the urban LEDS action plan.
- Facilitate the creation of a climate core team for each of the two model cities to support both in the development and implementation of the urban LEDS action plan.
- Identify appropriate local development plans for Kaysone Phomvihane and Pakse City to which the urban LEDS action plan shall be mainstreamed.
- Propose methodology in the development of the LEDS action plan in consultation with the TWG and other external stakeholders.
- Approve outline of the LEDS action plan upon consultation with the TWG and ICLEI SEAS.
Identify adaptation co-benefits
- Review GHG inventory and CRVA reports and identify adaptation co-benefits as well as identify at least five activities/projects for each of the two model cities that should be prioritized in the LEDS action plan. -list of the priority projects/activities and their description.
- Present the priority activities to the TWG and respective climate core team of the model cities for their review and approval as well as the identification of potential partners for each of the priority projects.
Drafting of the urban LEDS action plan and integration to the selected local development plan
- Develop outline of the LEDS action plan in consultation with the TWG and the climate core teams.
- Facilitate consultation meetings with the TWG, climate core teams, and other relevant stakeholders for the development and finalization of the LEDS action plan.
Validation of the LEDS action plan and final reports
- Document the process and best practices of mainstreaming the LEDS action plan into the model cities’ local development plans.
- Draft a two-page case study documenting the methodology, best practices, and recommendations from mainstreaming the LEDS action plan into local development plans.
- Final draft of the finalized LEDS Action Plan with extended summary in English.
- Propose policy recommendations to ensure the successful implementation of the LEDS action plan.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in implementing climate change-related projects particularly on the development of integrated climate action plans and/or low emission development strategies, preferably in a local organization or NGO or local-based scientific/research organization. Local NGOs and scientific research organizations can apply.
- Completed university degree or equivalent in Geography, Environmental Science, Urban Planning, Climate Change or related fields.
- Good knowledge and understanding of local, provincial, and national government systems in Laos.
- Good knowledge of local/national policies relevant to climate action/climate risk and vulnerability assessment in Lao PDR.
- Proficiency in using GIS software (e.g. QGIS, ArcGIS, etc.) and GPS devices is a must.
- Experience in conducting workshops with a wide variety of different stakeholders is a plus.
- Experience in conducting fieldwork is a plus.
Interested candidates are requested to apply by sending the following documents through e-mail with the subject “VA ULEDS2 – [name/organization]” no later than 18.00 Laos time (GMT+7) on Tuesday/30th June 2020, to firstname.lastname@example.org, with copy to email@example.com:
- Expression of interest and confirmation of availability for the consultancy’s duration;
- Latest CV; and
- Professional fees requested.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. For more information about ICLEI Southeast Asia Secretariat, visit https://icleiseas.org/.
Access full ToR here.