The ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability Southeast Asia Secretariat is currently looking for a Communications Intern (CI). The CI will be part of ICLEI SEAS and will be involved in internal and external communications work, including knowledge management, development and production of communication materials, member and stakeholder engagement, and media engagement, among other communications roles.
As a voluntary unpaid internship, this opportunity is solely based on the initiative and interest of the potential CI. The internship may be part of the compulsory study program/curriculum of the applicant but could also be based on the personal interest and motivation of the potential Intern.
Different from paid internships, the expectations regarding the outputs of a voluntary intern will be limited and the opportunities for the CI to learn will be given more weight.
Specifically, the CI will experience being involved throughout the strategic communication process in the development sector and in an international context. The intern will also learn about sustainability initiatives by local governments throughout Southeast Asia, as well as the sustainability projects that have been accomplished and are currently being implemented by ICLEI SEAS.
The CI is expected to undertake the following roles throughout the internship duration:
- Assist the ICLEI SEAS Communications Officer in knowledge management
- Assist the ICLEI SEAS Communications Officer in social media management, strategy, and content creation
- Assist the ICLEI SEAS Communications Officer in creating strategies and content for member and stakeholder engagement
- Assist the ICLEI SEAS Communications Officer in media engagement
- Assist the ICLEI SEAS Communications Officer in supporting the communications needs for the different projects implemented by ICLEI SEAS
The CI should be currently taking up Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Development Communication, Mass Communication, Communication Arts, Sociology, or other related fields. Other courses may be considered provided that it is supported with equivalent extracurricular experiences
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and Office 365 software is a must
- Experience in graphics design using Adobe Creative Suite or Canva is an advantage
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills
- Experience in proofreading and editing is an advantage
- Experience in technical management of online events is an advantage
- Ability to handle multiple tasks without compromising both the quality of output/s and project deadlines
- Creative, motivated, with keen attention to detail, and highly organized
To apply, please submit a Cover Letter that demonstrates your experience, qualifications, career goals, and why you feel you would be the right choice for this position, along with your latest CV, coursework summary, and other supporting documents such as writing samples, graphics portfolio, and certificate of endorsement from your internship adviser (if applicable). You should also specify when you are able to start the internship and your expected internship length.
Please send all materials in ONE PDF FILE through email with the subject line “CI APPLICATION_ICLEI SEAS – [Last Name, First Name] to Chris Hidalgo, ICLEI SEAS Communications Officer, via email@example.com. Failure to comply with the instructions provided above will disqualify the applicant from continuing to the next application stage.
Please use English for all communications. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls will be entertained.
For the full terms of reference, please refer to THIS LINK.