ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability is a global network of more than 1,750 local and regional governments committed to sustainable urban development. Active in 100+ countries, we influence sustainability policy and drive local action for low emission, nature-based, equitable, resilient and circular development. Our Members and team of experts work together through peer exchange, partnerships and capacity building to create systemic change for urban sustainability.
The ICLEI Southeast Asia Secretariat (ICLEI SEAS) serves members in Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Laos, Vietnam and the Philippines. The Secretariat has gained recognition from its experience in empowering local governments in the region by designing, promoting, and drawing external support to implement programs on urban resiliency, low emission development, integrated resource management, and other sustainability themes. ICLEI SEAS continuously inspires and invites local governments from provinces, cities, municipalities, and urban regions to forge partnerships for sustainability concerns specifically in terms of addressing climate change vis-à-vis urbanization; and encourage them to make this an important consideration in local development planning.
The Communications Officer will be part of ICLEI Southeast Asia Team and will primarily be involved in developing and implementing its communications strategy and disseminating relevant information to members, existing networks, and the general public.
Strategy and Design
- Develop and implement a communication strategy to profile the organization, expand its reach and engagement, and broaden its network and partners.
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of the communications strategy and adapt to changes and challenges as needed.
- Coordinate with the World Secretariat to ensure that communications plans are aligned with the larger communication and engagement plans of ICLEI as an organization
Campaigns and Project Specific Communications Work
- Develop and edit communication materials that respond to the communication plan. Materials may include brochures, leaflets, social media cards, reports, videos, and others.
- Write, edit, and package communication collaterals for ICLEI SEAS’ channels.
- Edit and proofread communication collaterals produced by ICLEI SEAS staff and ensure that these are up to standards before publishing.
- Maintain and update the ICLEI SEAS website and ensure that it features relevant and updated content both curated from sources and those that were prepared by ICLEI SEAS team.
- Maintain and update ICLEI SEAS’ digital platforms including social media pages; ensure that there is thematic and regional balance on the news and updates shared via the pages. Continue populating the daily hashtags for ICLEI SEAS’ social media channels.
- Coordinate with ICLEI SEAS Project Staff to provide ample communications support for project-specific activities
Media and Partnership Work
- Maintain and update media database curated for ICLEI SEAS.
- Increase media partnerships and maintain relationships with key publications and news organizations to ensure media coverage for ICLEI SEAS activities.
- Identify stories and pitch these to media organizations for possible coverage and publication.
- Represent ICLEI SEAS to partnership and networking events as instructed by the Regional Director.
- Assist in maintaining good relationships with partners and network contacts.
Internal Communications Coordination
- Coordinate closely with the World Secretariat in the implementation of communications-related tasks and ensure that important information about campaigns, media work, and others are passed on to the concerned ICLEI SEAS staff.
- Represent ICLEI SEAS in the Global Communications Group and all activities related and organized by the group.
- Coordinate with the Regional Director for the design and implementation of the Annual Strategic Planning workshop and ensure that results are properly documented. Keep track of the agreements during the workshop and ensure that these are being carried out.
- Continuously study and develop more efficient means of internal communication and information sharing through the introduction of tools and protocols.
- Perform other tasks as may be assigned from time to time
Key Selection Criteria/Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master Degree in Journalism, Development Communication, Mass Communication, Communication Arts, Sociology, and related fields. Other courses may be considered provided that it is supported with equivalent professional experiences.
- Minimum of 5 years working experience (for Bachelor’s degree holder) and 2 to 3 years (for Master’s degree holder) in the field of communications, with particular emphasis on news writing, copy editing, events coverage, and desktop publishing.
- Solid background on environment, climate change, and sustainable development will be an advantage.
- Legally able to work in the Philippines .
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and desktop publishing software (Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) programs is a must.
- Experience in website management and knowledge on the use of content management systems such as Typo3, Joomla, WordPress and Mailchimp is a must.
- Experience in photography and videography is preferred.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks without compromising both the quality of output/s and project deadlines.
- Creative, motivated, with keen attention to detail, and highly organized.
- Demonstrates commitment to ICLEI’s vision, mission, and values.
- Ability to work in international environment, independent, proactive and has willingness to learn.
- Creative, passionate in sustainable development, self-motivated, with keen attention to detail and highly organized.
- Demonstrate intellectual and social flexibility and ability to manage multiple tasks at the same time without compromising quality and timeliness of deliverables.
- Must be willing and able to travel domestically and internationally.
- Ability to work under pressure and express one’s self articulately and with tact.
- Addresses conflicts proactively; continuously strive for mutually acceptable solutions.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and as part of a dynamic group in multicultural environment.
To apply, please submit a Cover Letter that demonstrates your experience, qualifications, salary expectation, and why you feel you would be the right choice for this position, along with your latest CV, completed Key Selection Criteria Response Form, sample of work done and other supporting documents (Certificate of Education, Certificate of Work, Work Sample/Portfolio etc).
Please send all materials in one PDF file through email with subject “CO_ICLEI SEAS – [your name]” no later than 18:00 PST on Friday/ 12 March 2021 to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to comply with the instructions herein provided will disqualify the applicant to continue with the next stage.
*) You may combine all documents using free online application such as smallpdf.com.
Please use English for all communications. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls will be entertained.
For more information about ICLEI Southeast Asia Secretariat, visit http://icleiseas.org/.
Read the full Terms of Reference here.