Terms of Reference for the Service Provider of Black Soldier Fly (BSF) Waste Treatment Technology
The project requires the services of a BSF waste treatment technology service provider to undertake detailed engineering design, procurement of unit components and other materials, installation, testing, commissioning, and capacity building for Environment Agency of DKI Jakarta (DLH) staff and community members of Rawa Sari (Address: Jl Rawasari Selatan, Kelurahan Cempaka Putih Timur, Kecamatan Cempaka Putih, Central Jakarta) on the operationalization and maintenance of a BSF waste treatment system with a minimum treatment capacity of 1 ton/day of organic waste which dominated by food waste from household, restaurant and traditional market activity.
Scope of Work
The following activities will need to be undertaken to help meet the objectives of the project:
Detailed engineering design
- Conduct on-site assessment to inform the design of the BSF waste treatment system to be implemented in the community.
- The detailed engineering design as well as the calculation of the system for the provision of a suitable BSF waste treatment system that reflect the results of the on-site assessment and the viability report prepared by the CBSWM technology expert of the project. The engineering documents shall be submitted to ICLEI and the Environment Agency for review and approval prior to actual implementation.
Procurement, construction and installation of the BSF waste treatment system
- Upon receiving the approval of the submitted detailed design of the BSF system, the service provider shall proceed with the procurement of the individual unit components and installation of the entire BSF system.
- After successfully completing the installation, the service provider shall submit a progress report to ICLEI and the Environment Agency which will contain the following minimum information:
- Layout of the installed BSF waste treatment system.
- Diagram and description of each process and operations of the BSF waste treatment system (breeding unit, feedstock pre-processing unit, waste treatment unit, harvesting unit, and post-treatment unit).
- Inventory and description of tools, equipment, and materials that were actually used in the installation.
Testing and commissioning
- After the successful installation of the BSF waste treatment system, the service provider shall perform a three-month close monitoring period to ensure that all unit components and the overall BSF waste treatment system is functioning well and operating at optimum capacity.
- At the end of the monitoring period, the service provider shall submit a monitoring report to ICLEI and the Environment Agency which will contain the following minimum information:
- Quantity and quality of feedstock used in the system. Quantity refers to the amount of feedstock while quality refers to the moisture content and pH level of the feedstock;
- Description of operational systems and process parameters including input-output value, temperature, and humidity for each process and operation of the BSF waste treatment system (breeding unit, feedstock pre-processing unit, waste treatment unit, harvesting unit, and post-treatment unit);
- Quantity of larvae pre-pupae and residue produced (end-product);
- Quality of BSF waste treatment system end-products. In this case, the service provider shall provide results of a laboratory analysis of the system’s end-product;
- Ambient air quality including odor within the immediate surrounding of the BSF waste treatment system compound; and
- Calculation of costs associated to the operation of the system.
- The service provider will assume liability for a 1-year performance guarantee.
- The service provider also assumes liability for the manufacturer warranties of the respective system components/parts which shall have no less than a minimum warranty period of 1 year for each component.
Capacity building training for the personnel in-charge (community member and DLH staff)
- Conduct capacity building training for personnel (community members and DLH staff) in charge of maintenance of the BSF waste treatment system on the proper use and maintenance of the technology to ensure optimum efficiency.
- Develop and handover standard operating procedures (SOP) manual for the personnel in-charge.
- Establish coordination mechanisms (i.e. focal persons) to facilitate on-site and remote assistance in the operation and troubleshooting of the technology after installation and testing period.
Deliverables and Time Frames
A maximum of five (5) months are estimated to complete the deliverables as stated below. The engagement and consultation with ICLEI and Jakarta Provincial Government will be made both in-person and online (e.g. via e-mail). The service provider will assume liability for a 1-year performance guarantee which shall cover removal, replacement, and/or repair of the BSF waste treatment system components. The system components will have their own representative manufacturer warranties which shall maintain a minimum warranty period of 1 year.
Service provider eligibility
The service provider must provide evidence of:
- Prior experience in completed supply, installation, testing, commissioning, and handing over the BSF waste treatment system in a single order and operational for at least 1 year till the date of application for this project is preferred.
- Expertise in BSF waste treatment system including waste management, agriculture, insect rearing and nursery management (e.g. animal or insect nursery), among others is preferred.
- A company who has prior experience handling projects with a value above EUR 20.000 (approximately IDR 310.000.000). The company must have at least one Entomology expert (expert in insects) in the team who has a good experience in the Research and Development field.
- Use of environment-friendly, cost-effective, and genuine equipment and materials from reputable equipment/component supplies that conform with available and appropriate national and international standards.
- Safety construction solution and overall aesthetics consideration in the design and implementation.
- Excellent command in English language (written and spoken).
- Experts and staff are able and willing to travel domestically.
Additionally, advantageous criteria for prospective service providers include:
- Prior work experience with DKI Jakarta
- Flexibility and a shared vision for the project outcome are essential since the work will be undertaken in close cooperation with the project team members.
Proposal Requirements, and General Conditions
The following information must be provided in the proposal:
- A detailed system design technical proposal taking into consideration the minimum requirements outlined in this Terms of Reference (ToR). The technical proposal must also provide descriptions of the system’s design specifications, approaches to achieve optimal waste reduction and co-benefits of end-products while maintaining environmental safeguards (e.g. pollution prevention).
- A work plan with the corresponding timeline and financial proposal/bid duly signed by the bidder.
The following information must be provided together in the proposal:
- Letter of Interest
- Certified copy of valid business registration certificate (a company who has respective competency required for BSF waste treatment system is preferred).
- Certified copy of respective Value-added tax (VAT) registration certificate, and other relevant financial and registration documents required for the organization to operate in Indonesia.
- A portfolio of projects previously undertaken including information on the Beneficiary, Capacity of Installation, Contract Value, Date of Commencement, Date of Commissioning, Contact Details (portfolio of similar projects are preferred).
- Details of method, tools and equipment available to perform the work through considering the key indicators given in ToR.
- A detailed CV of technical personnel to be engaged for this project.
- The bidder shall produce original documents for cross verification as and when requested by ICLEI Southeast Asia.
- The following conditions shall apply to this project contract:
- The service provider is not allowed to subcontract other firms(s) to carry out the project.
- The quotation shall be inclusive of all costs including taxes associated with the project. Furthermore, the service provider shall adhere to the following requirements:
- The price quoted shall be fixed and firm and not subjected to any escalation or variation. The price should be inclusive of all transportation, communications, per diem, and installation charges including all required material to successfully complete tasks, duties & taxes, and insurance.
- Bill of materials for the BSF waste treatment system as indicated should be provided along with the price bid.
- ICLEI Southeast Asia reserves the right to add/delete to the final size and components of the BSF waste treatment system at the unit rate quoted by the bidder.
- All or any accessories/consumables/items required for satisfactory commissioning of work shall be deemed to be included in the contract and shall be provided by the bidder without extra charges.
- It should be noted that the project is being implemented by ICLEI in partnership with DKI Jakarta. Hence instructions to bidders will be given by ICLEI Southeast Asia in consultation with DKI Jakarta. This also applies in the conduct of inspection before, during, and after construction.
- The decision on the capacity of the system to be installed will be taken in consultation with DKI Jakarta and ICLEI. The ICLEI Indonesia Office will assist in necessary permissions and access to the sites.
- Once the system is installed, commissioned, and operated successfully for 3 months, this will be handed over to Environmental Agency of DKI Jakarta as the beneficiary of the system.
- Bidders shall submit bids that satisfy every condition outlined in this Terms of Reference (ToR), failure to do so will make the tender liable to be rejected.
Reporting requirements and management
- The vendor will report to Mr. Selamet Daroyni, Project Officer for Ambitious City Promises (ACP) Project of Yayasan ICLEI Indonesia and the activities in Jakarta will be implemented in close collaboration with Ms. Happy Tiara Asvita, Project Assistant for Ambitious City Promises (ACP) Project of Yayasan ICLEI Indonesia, and Ms. Pamela Cabacungan, Senior Project Officer of ICLEI Southeast Asia Secretariat.
- Field Work for Installing, commissioning, testing, and operation monitoring.
- Regular meetings/calls to report on progress on specific tasks and deliverables will be required.
- Payment of the service provider will be contingent on the timely submissions of deliverables listed in this term of references.
Closing date for submission
Please send all materials (proposal and supporting documents) in one PDF document via email with subject “Installation of BSF Maggot System for Community-Based Waste Management (CBWM) Technology ACP” to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday, 7 December 2020.
For any queries related to submission, please contact Yayasan ICLEI Indonesia via the e-mail address above.
Please use English for all communications. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Due to the volume of applications being received, our office would not be able to entertain phone calls. For more information about ICLEI Southeast Asia Secretariat and ICLEI Indonesia Office, visit http://icleiseas.org/.