Are you a journalist who supports climate action and low-carbon development?
The ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability Indonesia Office, as part of a series of One Planet City Challenge (OPCC) activities, will soon hold a media workshop with the theme “Accelerating the Achievement of Low Carbon and Climate Resilience Development Targets.”
The workshop will be held on 7 December 2021 in Hotel Ibis Jakarta Tamarin, with remote participants also welcome virtually via Zoom.
“As a multi-sectoral development issue, climate change cannot be solved with only a strong commitment from the government. There needs to be a synergistic collaboration between stakeholders, including the national and local governments, as well as the support of the media in Indonesia,” Mr. Ari Mochamad, Country Manager of ICLEI Indonesia.
Mr. Mochamad continued “This activity hopes to bring back discussions regarding the environment and climate change in the media newsroom. Hopefully, the event can increase journalists’ understanding and enrich news related to climate change and the environment in Indonesia.”
The workshop speakers will be from the Ministry of Environment and Forestry, the Ministry of National Development Planning/Bappenas, the Association of Indonesian Planners, and ICLEI Indonesia. They will talk about the policy and instruments to support low carbon and climate resilient development in the national and regional contexts. Additionally, they will discuss the challenges of the media in mainstreaming climate change in the news.
All participating media representatives and journalists are also encouraged to take part in a post-workshop competition. In line with the event’s theme, participants will be encouraged to create news stories regarding the event’s topics. The best publications are set to be invited for a media visit to the Best Climate Action City in Indonesia which is set to be announced in April 2022.
The specific mechanics for the competition are:
- Online and offline participants should register in the workshop by going to https://bit.ly/DaftarLokakaryaMedia
- Participants should be journalists or media representatives working in Indonesia.
- The coverage should be based on the workshop “Accelerating the Achievement of Low Carbon and Climate Resilience Development Targets.”
- The coverage should be in the form of articles (print or online), video, or audio, published in the participants’ respective media outlets between 7-15 December 2021.
- Coverage can be in Indonesian or English.
- Participants may have more than one entry.
- For entries to be officially recorded, each coverage should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject format: LOMBA LOKAKARYA – (Name of the journalist) – (Name of media)
For more information, please contact Ms. Arfiana Khairunnisa, ICLEI Indonesia Membership and Communications Officer, via email at email@example.com.
Deadline for registration and confirmation of participation for the workshop is on 6 December 2021.