The “Alliance + ICLEI Developing Plastic Waste-Free Cities” programme is looking for a Research Assistant to assist and support activities for the collection of waste-related data and information in Iloilo City, particularly through the conduct of waste analysis and characterization survey, key informant interviews, and focus group discussion among relevant local actors.
SCOPE OF WORK
Specifically, this consultancy is intended to cover the following:
A. Preparation and Training
- Coordinate relevant government and non-government offices to properly administer the activities
- Assist in the finalization of the following, in consultation with the Iloilo City LGU and ICLEI SEAS:
- Sampling locations based on the identified waste generators in the municipality (For the list of identified waste generators, see Annex A in the Terms of Reference found at the end of this posting)
- Sampling schedule and work plan
- Understand and/or enhance capacities on the standard operating procedures (SOP) and WACS methodology to be employed
- Support the acquisition of tools, materials, and other necessary resources
- Orient community stakeholders
B. Conduct of on-ground waste quantification and characterization, plastic characterization, and brand audit
- Assist in the overall conduct of waste analysis and characterization
- Support the logistical requirements and preparation of waste samples to be sent to accredited laboratory facility for chemical characterization (For the list of parameters, see Annex A in the Terms of Reference found at the end of this posting)
C. SWM Stakeholders Interviews
- Coordinate and liaise with relevant SWM stakeholders for the conduct of interviews.
- Provide support in the preparation and development of interview design and methodology
- Provide assistance in the conduct of focus group discussions and key informant interviews of waste pickers, junk shops, and other SWM stakeholders
D. Data Processing and Analysis
- Assist in the consolidation and post-processing of data
- Provide support in the formulation and development of baseline study on solid waste of the city, with focus on plastic wastes
E. Support the development of detailed activity and financial reports
DURATION AND LOCATION
The Research Assistant shall be engaged for a period of two (2) months and shall start by 13 October 2020. The Research Assistant must be based in Iloilo City for the entire duration of this engagement.
- Must have at least a bachelor’s degree in urban planning, development studies, urban planning, environmental management, statistics, or other related fields. A Master’s degree or further studies on the environment, waste management, urban planning, or sustainable development would be an advantage.
- Individuals with prior experience in the conduct of Waste Analysis and Characterization, and engaging with local stakeholders (e.g., household, formal and informal waste pickers, recyclers, etc) would be preferred.
- The consultant must be knowledgeable with the Philippines’ waste management scenario, policies, and programs.
- Excellent presentation as well as oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications and tools/software relevant to this project.
- Fluency in Ilonggo (preferred), Tagalog, and English languages.
Applicants should submit their resume to Mr. Russel James Andrade through email address firstname.lastname@example.org before 11 October 2021.
- Letter of Intent containing confirmation of availability for the consultancy’s duration, and an outline of relevant experience and background. Previous work engagement must be supported with a proof, e.g. project agreement, certificate of completion, website or news article, or project report.
- Latest CV
For any queries, please contact ICLEI SEAS via email@example.com or through mobile number +63 917 623 2618.
For the complete details, please refer to the full Terms of Reference HERE.