UN-Habitat and ICLEI are jointly implementing the Urban-LEDS II project: Accelerating climate action through the promotion of Urban Low Emission Development Strategies in more than 60 cities worldwide in the Urban-LEDS II project, using a multilevel governance approach to urban climate action. The project is funded by the European Union.
Through the Urban-LEDS II project, the local governments of selected cities are guided to create community-scale Urban Low Emissions Development Strategies (Urban-LEDS) that also address climate resilience. These will be aligned to and ideally inform the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) and National Adaptation Plans (NAPs), and implementation of these plans will start in the project’s lifetime.
SCOPE OF WORK
Indonesia is part of phase I of the Urban-LEDS Project, wherein project cities were supported in ensuring local low emission development. This is made possible through the provision of technical assistance in exploring innovative approaches in involving external stakeholders, developing low emission development scenarios through the conduct of GHG emissions inventory and development of Urban-LEDS action plan, and improving institutional capacity to plan, act, and monitor.
It is well recognized that the way a city is planned and operated, including the lifestyles of citizens, is a major contributor to global greenhouse gas emissions that cause climate emergencies. For example, continuing dependence on fossil-fuel consumption for transportation and electricity as well as an increasing municipal waste generation will go hand in hand with the growth of sprawling cities. Moreover, urban growth will increasingly be driven by climate emergencies triggering rural-urban migration. The complexity of city development challenges can be answered by designing urban development towards a smart, inclusive and sustainable city which means that the capacity of local government planners is playing an important role.
Towards this end, ICLEI Indonesia Office is looking for urban planning trainer/s to deliver the following key tasks:
Key Components and Deliverables:
1. Preparation of a 3-day Urban Planning Training
- Coordinate with Urban-LEDS II team in ICLEI Indonesia Office for finalization of draft concept note of urban planning training developed by Urban-LEDS II team;
- Propose one location for fieldwork visit in Jakarta and surrounding areas;
- Develop pre- and post-tests;
- Prepare training materials including examples of case studies that are relevant with the objectives of the Urban-LEDS II project.
2. Implementation of a 3-day Urban Planning Training
- Facilitate and carry-out the implementation of a 3-day urban planning training*.
3. Urban Planning Training Report
- Develop urban planning training report summarizing the results and discussion during the trainings
- Approved outline of the Urban Planning Training Report upon consultation with the Urban-LEDS II Team
- Final packaging and turnover of results of the urban planning training report (final report) in two versions: Bahasa Indonesia and English.
- The training is designed to be facilitated in-person and will strictly follow health protocols and restrictions. However, as part of the COVID-19 pandemic contingency measures health protocols, travel restrictions, and in the event of heightened restrictions, the training will be carried out virtually as an alternative measure to be consulted and approved by the Urban-LEDS II team.
- Targeted participants are from the Urban-LEDS II Cities: Balikpapan City, Bogor City, Bontang City, Tangerang Selatan City, Tarakan City and Bogor Regency to be represented by approximately three (3) staff from each city.
- At least 5-7 years of professional experience in implementing climate change-related projects particularly on the development of integrated climate action plans and/or low emission development strategies into urban planning. Local NGOs and scientific research organizations can apply;
- Completed university degree or equivalent in Urban Planning, Climate Change, Environmental Science or related fields. Having a Master’s Degree is an advantage. Equivalent professional experience can also be considered;
- Has valid certification as an urban planner;
- Good knowledge and understanding of local, provincial, and national government systems in Indonesia;
- Good knowledge of local/national policies relevant to urban planning, climate action or related fields in Indonesia;
- Proficiency in using urban planning modelling or software is a must;
- Experience in conducting workshops with a wide variety of different stakeholders is a plus;
- Experience in conducting fieldwork is a plus; and
- Excellent writing, presentation, communication, and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrate commitment to ICLEI’s vision, mission, and values;
- Strong leadership and organization skills;
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitates and encourages open communication and strives for effective communication;
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Ability to work under pressure and stay composed and positive even in difficult situations and handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact;
- Conflict Management: Addresses conflicts proactively, striving for mutually acceptable solutions; and
- Creative, motivated, with keen attention to detail and highly organized.
Interested candidates are requested to apply by sending the following documents through email with subject “ULEDSII: Urban Planning Trainer(s) – [name/organization]” no later than 05.00 p.m. (Jakarta time) on 8 September 2021, to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with copy to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Expression of interest and confirmation of availability for the service’s duration;
- Latest CV; and
- Technical and financial proposal. The financial proposal should outline direct cost (professional fee day rate in IDR) and breakdown of indirect costs.
All documents must be under one file name and must be filed as “ULEDSII: Urban Planning Trainer/s – [name/organization]”. Please use English for all communications. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
The full Terms of Reference for this consultancy is posted HERE. For any queries regarding this Terms of Reference, please contact the email addresses above.