Our office in Indonesia is looking for a Solid Waste Management Expert to help improve the proposal of Bogor Regency titled, “Solid Waste Management using Hydrothermal Technology for the Community Scale. The expert is envisioned to develop the proposal along the following themes: feasibility of proposed project, greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction potential, socio-economic benefits, sustainability, among others.
About Urban-LEDS II
UN-Habitat and ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability are jointly implementing the Urban-LEDS II project: Accelerating climate action through the promotion of Urban Low Emission Development Strategies in more than 60 cities worldwide in the Urban-LEDS II project, using a multilevel governance approach to urban climate action. The project is funded by the European Union.
Through the Urban-LEDS II project, the local governments of selected cities are guided to create Urban Low Emissions Development Strategies (Urban LEDS) that also address climate resilience. These will be aligned to and ideally inform the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) and National Adaptation Plans (NAPs), and implementation of these plans will start in the project lifetime.
Further, local governments will be supported to develop pilot projects and finance models for their Urban LEDS implementation. The overall Urban-LEDS II project aims to strengthen cooperation and information sharing across national and local governments, offering an integrated Measuring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) concept and guidance on multilevel governance, to support all levels of government to better understand the contribution of local level developments to support achieving national and global climate and sustainability goals. The project runs from April 2017 till March 2021.
- Validate the total waste generation and assess the type of waste that the pilot site produces and equate with emission vs. reduction potential;
- Prepare and conduct social preparation activities among the community members – this may be in the form of structured interviews or public consultation;
- Review and validate the technical specifications (volume of waste, products, etc.) and requirements (space, size, etc.) of the hydrothermal technology to ensure its viability to the community;
- Conduct preliminary market assessment to determine whether market demand exists or can be readily developed for increasing the level of recycling;
- Refine the calculation of maintenance and operation costs and identify potential revenue sources;
- Develop a business plan in coordination with Bogor Regency and the community, to ensure the sustainability of the demonstration project;
- Recommend management structure including development of standard operating procedures (SOP) for the operations of the demonstration project; and
- Recommend strategies to enhance recycling and increase demand for valuable products.
- Able and willing to travel domestically.At least 3-5 years of professional experience in implementing community projects related to solid waste management, particularly:
- Experience in conducting social preparation and facilitating workshops with community groups.
- Experience in preparing market plans and setting up potential business models is an a
- Ability to conduct technical assessment of and research on solid waste management technologies
- Completed a university degree in environmental science with specialization on solid waste management, environmental engineering, chemical engineering, business administration and management, or other related fields.
- Proficiency in MS Office, email programs.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Excellent writing, presentation, communication, and facilitation skills.
The consultant will report directly to ICLEI Indonesia Project Officer Ms. Nisa Nidasari (firstname.lastname@example.org) . Main contact person at ICLEI SEAS is Ms. Joy Camille Baldo, Senior Project Officer (email@example.com).
The consultancy is expected to cover a maximum of 25 man-days spread across three months from November 2019 to January 2020. The consultant will be paid upon submission of milestones. The consultancy is a lump sum contract inclusive of taxes and other government fees and charges which means that all direct costs should be considered.
Direct costs shall cover ground transport to Bogor Regency, accommodation (if necessary), cost of social preparations, supplies and materials, travel insurance, and per diem (meals and incidentals during field visit). Taxes and other government fees should also be included in the financial proposal.
Download the full ToR here.