ICLEI Indonesia is looking for a Climate Vulnerability and Risk Assessment Expert to support the implementation of the Accelerating climate action through the promotion of Urban Low Emission Development Strategies (Urban-LEDS II).
About the Urban-LEDS II Project
UN-Habitat and ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability are jointly implementing the Urban-LEDS II project: Accelerating climate action through the promotion of Urban Low Emission Development Strategies in more than 60 cities worldwide in the Urban-LEDS II project, using a multilevel governance approach to urban climate action. The project is funded by the European Union.
Through the Urban-LEDS II project, the local governments of selected cities are guided to create community-scale Urban Low Emissions Development Strategies (Urban LEDS) that also address climate resilience. These will be aligned to and ideally inform the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) and National Adaptation Plans (NAPs), and implementation of these plans will start in the project lifetime.
Further, local governments will be supported to develop pilot projects and finance models for their Urban LEDS implementation. The overall Urban-LEDS II project aims to strengthen cooperation and information sharing across national and local governments, offering an integrated Measuring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) concept and guidance on multilevel governance, to support all levels of government to better understand the contribution of local level developments to support achieving national and global climate and sustainability goals. The project runs from April 2017 till March 2021.
The Climate Vulnerability and Risk Assessment Expert is expected to deliver these key tasks:
- Review development plans, climate change action plans, city resilience strategy, and related documents to assess existing information and determine gaps.
- Gather and analyze geospatial data including but not limited to temperature, precipitation, historical/current/future hazards, land use, land cover, slope, elevation, location of critical facilities, building footprints, poverty incidence, household income, employment, educational attainment, health statistics, etc.) through secondary sources (national or local government) or through primary sources by conducting fieldwork.
- Produce hazard-specific maps overlaying experienced and future hazards overexposed elements to determine vulnerable areas, preferably on a village scale.
- Validate hazard maps through multi-stakeholder workshops participated by local government and community members including the vulnerable groups. The consultant is expected to develop the program and carry out the validation workshops in collaboration with ICLEI Indonesia.
- Gather insights and local knowledge to assess the adaptive capacities of resources, urban systems, and the population.
Produce climate vulnerability and risk assessment in line with the national guideline: Minister of Environment and Forestry Regulation (Permen KLHK) No. P.7/Menlhk/Setjen/Kum.1/2/2018 on Guidelines for Climate Vulnerable, Risk and Impact Assessment.
- Recommend climate adaptation strategies based on the results of the climate vulnerability and risk assessment as well as multi-stakeholder workshops and consultations. A list of adaptation actions options should be prepared in line with the national guideline: Minister of Environment and Forestry Regulation (Permen KLHK) No. P.33/Menlhk/Setjen/Kum.1/3/2016 on Guidelines for the Development of Climate Change Adaptation Action.
- Produce a final report documenting the outputs of the consultancy work in two languages (Bahasa Indonesia and English).
- At least 3-5 years of professional experience in implementing climate change-related projects particularly on climate vulnerability and risk assessment, preferably in a local organization or NGO or local-based scientific/research organization. Local NGOs and scientific research organizations can apply.
- Completed university degree or equivalent in Geography, Environmental Science, Urban Planning, or related fields. Having a Master’s Degree is an advantage. Equivalent professional experience can also be considered.
- Proficiency in using GIS software (e.g. QGIS, ArcGIS, etc.) and GPS devices is a must.
- Good knowledge of local, provincial, and national government systems in Indonesia.
- Experience in conducting workshops with a wide variety of different stakeholders is a plus.
- Experience in conducting fieldwork is a plus.
- Proficiency in MS Office, e-mail programs.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Excellent writing, presentation, communication, and facilitation skills.
- Able and willing to travel domestically.
- Demonstrate commitment to ICLEI’s vision, mission, and values.
- Strong leadership and organization skills.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitates and encourages open communication and strives for effective communication.
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Ability to work under pressure and stay composed and positive even in difficult moments and handles tense situations with diplomacy and tact.
- Conflict Management: Addresses conflicts proactively, striving for mutually acceptable solutions.
- Creative, motivated, with keen attention to detail and highly organized.
The consultant will directly report to ICLEI Indonesia Project Officer Ms. Nisa Nidasari (email@example.com) and Ms. Gina Karina (firstname.lastname@example.org), Country Manager. Main contact person at ICLEI SEAS is Ms. Joy Camille Baldo, Senior Project Officer (email@example.com).
Interested candidates are requested to apply by sending the following documents through e-mail with subject “VA ULEDS2 – [name/organization]” no later than 18.00 WIB on Monday/ 10th June 2019, to firstname.lastname@example.org with copy to email@example.com:
- Expression of interest and confirmation of availability for the consultancy’s duration;
- Latest CV; and
- Technical and financial proposal. The financial proposal should outline professional fee (day rate in USD) and breakdown of direct costs.
All documents must be under one file name and must be filed as “VA ULEDS2 – [name/organization]”. Please use English for all communications. Only successful candidates will be contacted. For more information about ICLEI Southeast Asia Secretariat, visit http://icleiseas.org/.
Download the full Terms of Reference here.