We are looking for a consultant to work on the Development of Measurement, Reporting, and Verification (MRV) Plan for the Philippine Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC).
The contract for the “Development of the Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV) Plan for the Philippines Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC)” was awarded by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Philippine Country Office to Emergent Ventures International Pte. Ltd. (EVI) and ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability Southeast Asia Secretariat (ICLEI SEAS) (hereinafter referred to as the “Consortium”) last March 20, 2019.
The Consortium shall work closely with the Climate Change Commission (CCC) through the NDC Support Project for the Philippines (NSPP) Project Office in the attainment of the project goal. The UNDP NDC support programme will support the Government to achieve transformational change by using NDC implementation as a mechanism to scale up investment in climate change and deliver sustainable development.
To advance NDC implementation in the Philippines there is a need to strengthen MRV capacity and national data-sharing mechanisms to better analyze and communicate progress against NDC targets and mitigation actions. Hence, the overall purpose of this assignment is to assist the CCC in the development of a detailed, clear, robust national MRV system for mitigation actions, supported by guidance and reporting templates. This is to maintain oversight of the quality and comparability of information provided on the results achieved by the mitigation actions.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Review all the pertinent documents that are related to this consultancy with special focus on Philippines’s Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) and consult with relevant stakeholders within the public and private sector.
- Identify, inter alia, the main laws, policies and strategies in place at the national and international level that directly affect the sectors with the highest GHG emissions, as well as the sector with the greatest potential for GHG mitigation, in the context of the three dimensions of sustainable development (social, environmental and economic) identifying the impacts and their direct or indirect relationship to the processes of climate change mitigation
- Undertake stakeholder mapping, engagement and consultation with key actors and decision makers at national level to provide technical guidance on the NDC MRV Plan and to get inputs on the same to understand strategic priorities for NDC of Philippines.
- Develop the National and Sectoral NDC MRV Plan
- Review the NDC to identify the areas for which MRV is required: mitigation, adaptation, climate finance, SDGs or any important co-benefits of climate actions.
- Review the MRV system framework that was developed by the LECB Project.
- Review of the NICCDIES that provides the structural architecture to consolidate climate change mitigation data and information and to support the three central elements of the Philippines MRV system.
- Develop/Institutionalize the governance structure/arrangement for MRV implementation
- Setting up of an MRV steering group and Institutionalization of national and sub-national MRV system and coordination bodies (based on the MRV System Framework developed under LECB PHL Project).
- Ensure that MRV activities are aligned with the five-year NDC cycle and appropriate rules on data sharing, stating which data will be shared, by whom and how often between government ministries, departments and agencies is in place
- Develop, for publication, MRV-related technical guidance.
- Develop a plan for reporting, considering the intended audience, what data are needed, and the format, frequency and responsibilities.
- Establish how actions at the subnational level will be captured and reported at the national level.
- Assess data gaps and needs:
- Identification of the scope of data required across mitigation, adaptation, finance and other areas to track NDC implementation with consideration of MRV requirements for SDG reporting and consideration of existing national processes, potential data gaps,
- Prioritisation of the data gaps, based on their relative importance for domestic and international reporting.
- Identify how existing MRV systems can be extended to address data gaps:
- Consideration of how existing data flows, responsibilities and processes might be adjusted and extended to build a system which can collect the required data for tracking NDC implementation.
- Explore complementary MRV systems for both NDC and SDG implementation, and considering options for integrating gender considerations into the MRV system.
- Consider how any existing MRV systems can be complemented and refined over time.
- Develop the MRV Plan/System for mitigation, adaptation and finance, this will be built upon the MRV system framework and NDC Framework/Roadmap developed by the LECB Phase 1 Project
- Set out the activities needed to develop the MRV plan/system of mitigation, adaptation and finance, in coordination with other project contractors/consultants working on the NDC;
- Perform activities to link individual MRV systems into single integrated MRV system
- Establish data management processes:
- Develop systems to improve data quality with number of approaches, from the robust independent verification of data, to internal data audits and quality checks, and consultation with stakeholders
- Develop data management systems with consideration of the NICCDIES database system developed by the LECB PHL Project as the online data systems accessible to all or to certain stakeholders/individuals through password-controlled access
- Address data gaps, filled by using generic factors or international benchmarks.
- Develop data improvement plans with suggested responsibilities, timings and resource requirements
- MRV Improvement Plan and Pilot Testing
- MRV System Improvement Plan:
- Ensure MRV reports are relevant by recommending a mechanism to ensure that the outputs from the MRV systems can inform regular updates of the mitigation, adaptation and climate finance planning processes, and lessons learned can be integrated into subsequent actions within the implementation of the NDC;
- Recommend options for continuous improvement through evaluation of the effectiveness of the MRV system in collating and reporting relevant data with adjustment flexibility in the implementation plan and the systems according to any lessons learned.
- Pilot testing of the MRV plan/systems for GHG emissions, mitigation actions and means of implementation in four priority sectors;
- MRV System Improvement Plan:
- Capacity Building and Knowledge Product Development
- Build MRV capacity
- Conduct capacity building or training needed to enable MRV Plan implementation at the national level NDC-CO and across stakeholders involved in the implementation of the MRV system.
- Develop a capacity building plan/toolkit to provide guidance on MRV Plan implementation with guidance on how gender aspects can be incorporated into capacity building plans
- Create or develop information and knowledge management products on the outputs/ deliverables for dissemination to stakeholders.
- Build MRV capacity
- Advanced degree in environmental science/ management, political science, urban and regional planning, international and development studies, communication, community development, or other relevant degree; or a combination of relevant education and experience.
- Good command of English language, both written and spoken.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (e.g. Excel, Word, PowerPoint) is a must.
- Familiarity with the climate change policy landscape at the international and national level. Background on MRV is desirable.
- Demonstrated understanding and working knowledge of data collection and analysis.
- Ability to facilitate multi-stakeholder workshops at a national level
- Previous experience in development work or related work for donor organizations, government institutions, NGOs, private sector/ consulting firm is a strong advantage.
To apply, please submit a Cover Letter that demonstrates your experience, qualifications, and proposed professional fee (including number of mandays) along with your latest CV.
Please send all materials in one PDF via email with subject “Consultant: MRV Plan for the NDC” no later than 17.00 PHT on Friday / 03 May 2019 to: email@example.com. Applicants who do not comply with the instructions will not be considered.
Please use English for all communications. Only successful candidates will be contacted. No phone call is entertained. For more information about ICLEI Southeast Asia Secretariat, visit http://icleiseas.org.
Download the full ToR here.