The Master’s Degree Programme in Environmental Policy and Law is a multidisciplinary two-year programme that combines group teaching and independent research with the objective of providing participants with professional skills in environmental law and policy. The programme consists of the advanced study of law and policy in relation to the environment, climate change, and natural resources.
All students will complete basic courses on environmental law and environmental policy. They will choose between two alternative majors: Natural Resources Governance or Environmental and Climate Change Law.
1) Natural Resources Governance: The scientific background for the major is the environmental policy which offers the social scientific perspective to current environmental problems and their solutions. Within the major, you can specialize in global and local governance issues and in policy formulation and implementation. Your target degree will be Master in Social Sciences (MSocSc).
2) Environmental and Climate Change Law: Environmental law includes a number of specialized areas of legal practice, such as climate change law and natural resources law. Environmental lawyers can also specialize in international legal issues, EU law or national environmental legislation. Your target degree will be the Master of International and Comparative Law (MICL).
Study and application essentials:
- Two-year Master’s degree programme (120 ECTS) with interactive study methods.
- Annual intake: 20 students
- Two alternative majors: 1) Environmental and Climate Change Law; and 2) Natural Resources Governance.
- Minimum admission criteria: Appropriate Bachelor’s degree or equivalent university degree and proof of English language proficiency.
- Application period: 1 November 2018 – 31 January 2019.
- Tuition fees: There are no tuition fees for students from the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. For citizens outside EU/EEA or Switzerland, tuition fee is €8,000 per year. We offer a generous scholarship system for non-EU/EEA students to cover tuition fees. Scholarships are easy to apply together with the online application.
Application deadline is on 31 January 2019.
For more details, visit University of Eastern Finland’s website here.